Katy Perry Killer Queen Fragrance Review


By Smaranda: Katy Perry has just launched her 3rd fragrance yet: Killer Queen, the first done in collaboration with Coty. Personally, I wasn't a fan of Katy's previous two scents; the good news for me is that Killer Queen marks a departure from its predecessors and it is a definite improvement. The new licensing partnership with Coty is a good move for Katy;when it comes to celebrity scents, Coty is the biggest player on the market. Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Lady Gaga, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kate Moss, David Beckham are some of the big names included in Coty's ever-growing portfolio of celebrity fragrances. Killer Queen has been announced as a playful, powerful, edgy and delicious fragrance, with top notes of wild berries, dark plum and bergamot, middle notes of red velvet flower (Celosia), Sambac jasmine and rainbow plumeria, over a base of cashmeran, patchouli and liquid praline. (Plumeria is a sweet tropical flower, also known as frangipani and cashmeran is a synthetic musky note designed to replicate the texture of cashmere.) Citing some of the influences that inspired her in choosing the right scent and packaging, Katy Perry mentions fragrances like Thierry Mugler's Alien and Tom Ford's Black Orchid:“I wanted some floral [notes], like jasmine...it does have a bit of a gourmand thing to it. I wanted the scent to have a little bit of ambiguity. I was attracted to scents in the last couple of years like Alien by Thierry Mugler and Black Orchid from Tom Ford. They’re too strong for me to wear all the time, and I didn’t want to them to be [copies], just to have a hint of ambiguity like they do. It’s sophisticated, but it’s not alienating my main group of people. The patchouli heart gives it ambiguity and this thing called cashmeran is really cool. It has this real curve ball in it that I think is sophisticated but still super sexy.” (WWD) As far as the packaging goes, Katy was inspired by the quirky, non conventional presentation of Jean Paul Gaultier's fragrances: “One thing I was really inspired by was Jean-Paul Gaultier’s fragrances, time after time after time,” said Perry. “There was the snow globe [Fragile], he was doing a bust [Signature], he was doing this or that. But he always did something that made me want to keep the bottle as a keepsake afterwards. I felt cool if I had one on a shelf in my room, even if there was no juice left in it. That inspired me. There isn’t any point for me to put out something that doesn’t stand out — because that is so not like me.” (WWD) Upon first spray, Killer
Queen opens with fruity notes, mainly a mix of plum and berries, although I can pick up some citrus accord right at the beginning as well (coming from the bergamot). This is not an extremely fruity scent and you don't have to wait too long for the middle and base notes to shine through: the mix of florals and the patchouli base with added sweetness (from the praline note) are noticeable right from the start. It is actually well blended and more grown-up than Katy's previous scents. Killer Queen is not a fruity floral, and I wouldn't call it a floral oriental (floriental) either. I would say it follows the current trend of the 'fruitchouli", that is scents that have a fruity opening over a prominent sweet patchouli base (with the middle often being a combo of floral notes). It is a fun, potent scent, with good lasting power on my skin. If you are wondering what other scents I would compare it to, just to give you a better idea about how it smells, I would say it falls in the same category with Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb and Jimmy Choo Eau de Parfum. If sweet, patchouli-based scents are your thing, then Katy Perry Killer Queen should go on your list. Katy Perry's Killer Queen is available as 15 ml, 30 ml, 50 ml and 100 ml Eau de Parfum and you can find it in stores now,  Source: Smartologie.com